Ever notice they had to create a cavalcade of sports to fill the winter baseball void? Ranked from awful, to passable, but still not baseball.
10. NFL Football - Like to help rich, old white guys profit by maiming young black men? Here’s your show.
9.5 Ice Fishing - At least you’re not helping old white guys profit by maiming young black men.
9. Hunting Season - The outdoors part is ok. But it’s a little asymmetric, as sports go.
8. Bowling - Moves up four slots if The Big Lebowski.
7. NBA Basketball - It can be fun. It can also be run, shoot, score, run, shoot, score tedious.
6. College Football - School spirit makes the game seem not quite as bad. Still, it’s a game premised on knocking somebody down, and that only goes so far.
5. College Basketball - Again, school spirit improves the game.
4. Curling - Have never understood the innings, or quarters, or whatever they call them, but it’s somewhere between soothing and mesmerizing to watch.
3. Hockey - It’s very difficult. It’s very fast. It can really, really, hurt. Those are the makings of a good sport. High school, college, NHL, Olympic … they’re all terrific, for slightly different reasons.
2. Freestyle Skiing - Creativity and risk - the very soul of youth.
1.5 Pond Hockey - The winter sport of my teen years, so it’s gonna rank high.
1. Downhill Skiing - Hurtling down a mountain as fast as you possibly can taunts mortality which is, by definition, cool. Very, very fast. Can really, really, really hurt. Kinda crazy. That’s a great sport.